Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Another Day

First thing I hit the store to pick up supplies.  My cart was full of  clothes soap and dish soap.  I was asking the manager if they had more soap when the woman behind me wanted to know what I was doing with all of them?  I told her I was bringing them to Union Beach, NJ and how the town was hit hard by the hurricane.  She asked if she could buy them for me to donate.  I told her that would be awesome!  She got one of my free hugs.

When I arrived in UB I drove towards the water before I went to volunteer at the pantry.  I was surprised to see the huge pile that was one of  the dumping areas had been cleaned up.  The huge 25 foot pile was gone.  Everybodies things had been swept up and taken to the dump.

This is Spruce Street and 5th Street (11/14/12)
 
 
You can't see the street because of all the mud (11/7/12)
 


 
The streets were filled with lots of  trucks and vans.  Trucks to replace furnaces/heaters, electricians, and many many contractor vehicles.  The town is getting ready to rebuild.  Put their homes and lives back together.  I did notice that the piles in front of homes now consist of wood and drywall. 
 
 
I drove past 8th Street and saw a group of men eating lunch.  They were Menonite and Amish volunteers.  I stopped and asked if I could take their pictures - they didn't mind.  They were nice and polite.  I found out they were helping homeowners get ready for construction. 
 

 
 
It's amazing how many volunteers are in town.  I love how everyone is chipping in and working together helping strangers.  I know there will be many friendships made.  I have already met so many wonderful people.  I love the energy of this place!  I am so blessed to be able to spend time in this special town.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment