Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 2 in Union Beach, NJ

 
 
 
I was so happy this morning when I woke up.  As I layed there in bed saying my morning prayers and asking for protection over my family and home, my town. . . then I realized I was sending protection to my new (old) friends in Union Beach.  I then spread the protection across the United States and then around the world.  I always end by thanking God for all the abundance in my life (love, friends, family)
 
 
Ok so you say why do I call my new friends in UB my old friends?  Because they are.  I walk in to Borough Hall and they say good morning to me and call me by name.  (well I am wearing a name tag!)   I give and receive hugs and kisses from people that are people I've met in my life.  I see my 5 brothers in the guys close to my age.  I kid with them about silly stuff and we laugh.  Some of the women my age are my 2 sisters some serious like my older sister and some just. . . well my younger sister and I were always close and shared a room!  I see my favorite teacher from 9th grade, my best friends mom that used to give me the most beautiful hand-me-downs (I'm pretty sure lots of them were new)  I see my favorite principal.  The kids are me when I was younger and I totally get them because inside I'm still that 13 year old with freckles, big feet and  crooked front teeth.  It is a family.  A beautiful patchwork quilt of love. 
 
 
Today I said goodbye to Chris.  Chris is a firefighter from Georgia.  He saw the devastation on TV and knew he needed to help.  He loaded his trailer up - said goodbye to his wife and kids and headed north with his trailer stocked like a food pantry bringing everything he would need to cook for lots of people.  He first went to Staten Island and cooked then headed to the Toms River area before finding a home in Union Beach.  Chris was able to park his trailer in the corner of the police department which is also borough hall.  He cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I heard people raving about his sausage gravy, soups - actually everything he cooked.   I was struck by how he never tired even though he put in long days feeding so many hungry people.  Chris realized it was time to head home when his heater blew out in his trailer.  So he packed his trailer and headed home to Georgia with lots of new friends. 
 
 
I missed Michael today.  We sat at the front desk together my second day (I got promoted from trash duty!)   I laughed when I saw his name was Michael. . . when I need a sign from above I'm always sent a Michael, Mike or Bob.  (that's a whole other story)
 
 
I'm tired and must get some sleep to recharge so I can go have fun with my family!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment