Monday, November 19, 2012

Walking

Today started with volunteering close to home.  I delivered Meals On Wheels to my favorite senior citizens!  I love the people on my route. 

I got to Union Beach around 2pm.  Later than I usually arrive but I was going to stay later and restock.  I met more new volunteers.  Most of the local kids have gone back to school.  Moms volunteer during school so it gets sparse around 3pm til the afternoon help arrives. 

Today I drove a mom and her daughter home from the pantry.  They walked 15 blocks to get supplies.  I helped them shop for things they needed as we walked through the isles I found they had walked there and couldn't carry much.  I noticed the daughter was wearing pajamas and a light coat.  All she owned - they were heading to get clothes from a neighbor that has set up a makeshift clothes store on her front lawn.  We drove by were the clothes were set up on 2 front yards (all clean clothes hanging up)  I am still blown away by the kindness and generosity of this town. 

After I dropped them off I drove around town and took a few pictures.  I was up by the water.  I saw house foundations with no houses on them.  I saw 5 lots in a row with no homes on them. . . and I saw more trees with all the debris stuck in them - up to about 6 feet high.  Funny how someones life can get stuck in a tree.  I saw torn clothes, plastic grocery bags, lots of paper hanging from the trees.  Memories - trees of memories. 

I drove back towards Borough Hall.  I saw lots of parents waiting on corners for their kids that were bussed to nearby towns for school.  I saw parents smiling and talking to their neighbors.   Most of town is still uninhabitable.  It still looks like a war zone. 

Thank you God for giving this town the grace and peace to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment